RSS Enabled & Subscriptions

keeping this forum safe and positive

RSS Enabled & Subscriptions

Postby dmac » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:15 pm

ATOM/RSS Feeds have been enabled for the site. If you have a reader, or your browser is feed-capable, the address / subscription URL is:

http://keddie28.com/bb/feed.php

Visit the link. If you get results, it means your browser is capable. I know it works in IE and Firefox, and not in Opera. Chrome isn't safe, so I won't use it.

It's a great tool, and is easy access to all the latest posts on the forum... it displays the last 75 posts on the forum.

Another way to remain current with the forum: SUBSCRIPTIONS. Keep in mind, you MUST be a forum member.

Simply log onto the forum, then go to your USER CONTROL PANEL(UCP)-- the UCP link appears near the upper left when you log on. From the OVERVIEW tab of the UCP, click on the 'MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS' sub-category (found on the left). Under the 'MARK' column (on the right of the new screen), choose each box representing the areas you wish to keep up-to-date on. Then click on the button at the bottom right: 'WATCH MARKED'.

It's that easy. Whenever a new post is added to any area you subscribe to, you'll immediately be notified via the email address you used to sign up to the forum.

You can add or remove any/all SUBSCRIPTIONS the same way via your UCP.

Enjoy!
"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
reach me at
keddie28 AT gmail DOT com
dmac
Site Admin

Re: RSS Enabled & Subscriptions

Postby dmac » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:39 am

The RSS feed for this entire forum is intact, yet no longer works directly with today's browsers. For updates on when new posts hit the forum, one must add the above 'keddie28.com/bb/feed.php' address to their favorite RSS/news reader, or install a similar add-on to your browser. For instance, in my version of Chrome, I installed the 'RSS Feed Reader' add-on, which works perfectly.

In fact, those familiar with my recent warnings of possible lag-time or downtime due to server /caching changes I've made to the back-end of the site may be surprised to find I was getting no disruption on the RSS feed during said transition: If I posted, or someone else did, I'd get an independent alert of the new post within a few moments. This result is independent of my IP/ISP versus the changes I made, meaning for my RSS service to seem uninterrupted, the propagation of changes across the web must have affected very few people.

Sure, it's all techno-babble mumbo-jumbo, but I see light at the end of the tunnel. I could, very soon, make changes allowing exponentially more traffic to the site.

I doubt very much I want THAT, though. Historically, exponentially more traffic only means exponentially more assholes for me to deal with! The last thing I need.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Re: RSS Enabled & Subscriptions

Postby dmac » Mon May 30, 2022 12:23 am

I've just stumbled on another neat trick for the RSS feeders amongst us:

As I mentioned before, most browsers used to display this forum's RSS feed properly on their own. As php progressed and browsers advanced, users had to adapt by adding a script or extension to their browser(s). I have standalone RSS readers, as well as a music library program, book reader app, and podcast app that all handle RSS feeds, but the one I rely on for the Keddie site updates is the chrome add-on, "RSS FEED READER".

With the extension installed, I can again use the address shortcut directly. In other words, the original feed link works again as a standalone page:

keddie28.com/bb/feed.php will again properly display the most recent posts in chronological order, and it goes back a full month. This makes the feed page, once again, my favorite workaround to find all posts made in the last month! From the feed page, users can click on any post to read it in whole and in context with other posts from it's thread of the origin.

Yes, I'm tired, but what I'm saying is installing the add-on (or any other similar, I would imagine) lets the add-on display the feed page on it's own. So, rather than having to go through several steps by using the add-on itself, I'm back to simply using the old feed.php link. For power-users, like me, that's an HOORAY!! moment.
reach me at
dmac
Site Admin

Return to chat, guidelines, troubleshooting, & FAQs